Trumpter 1/32 scale AV-8B Harrier II Plus

Started by Lee_K, Sun 06/30/13 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie Murray

Looks very much like it could fire up and take off...excellent work as usual.

Lee_K

It actually is on display right now.  Someone took all my storage containers!  :)

Lee K

Bill L.

Very nice Lee.  You really should have 1 or 2 of these out on display somewhere!  My house ?? LOL!!!

Bill L.

lgriffin

Lee_K

The problem with Trumpeter's canopy detonation cord is twofold:

1.  The shape is wrong
2.  It is molded into the inside of the huge and delicate canopy.

Highlighting it is very difficult to do crisply due to its raised nature.  Removing it is practically impossible because one would need to sand it down and polish the inside  back to clarity without breaking it.  Zotz decals does make a decal in the correct shape, but that still requires removing the molded kit line.

In the end, I decided to not mess with it.

Lee K

Ryan K

Great looking model.

Quote from: Lee_K on Sun 06/30/13 10:36 AM

I have seen other folks highlight/color/vinyl mask the det cord in the canopy, what lead you to your approach?

Bill L2

Great job Lee. That is avery nice model.

Lee_K

Trumpeter kit with Wolfpack Design resin air scoops (not included in kit) and ejection seat ,with CH Aero Decals. It took almost a year to complete due to my impossible work schedule. As Trumpeter kits go, this one was fairly accurate but I did have to create the "kink" in the wing outer panel and fill in the underside of the LERX leading edge extensions. The air intakes were very challenging to get to a semi-seamless state and to mask the crisp paint demarcation line. Harriers are now painted in a Gunship Gray over Intermediate Blue scheme so this model is one of the first I've ever seen painted this way. Weathering was kept low key due to the relatively new paint on these aircraft with a dark gray wash in the panel lines and some diffusion of the gray camouflage paint.

Lee K