Club Build M41 Walker Bulldog complete

Started by Bill L2, Fri 09/18/15 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill L2

Quote from: Herk on Fri 10/09/15 09:15 PM
Bill, Ryan,
If I understand you'll correct, the base coat (over primer) should be an enamel - then the chipping fluid - then an acrylic white.  Once the white is dry, then using warm water & a brush start to work the white coat down to the acceptable level.

You mention a winter wash - I understand the black wash (black paint with Windex) - is the winter wash similar only using white?

I was planning to use the same Tamiya Dark Green that I used on the M41, but it is an acrylic!  Do you or Ryan know if Model Master makes an enamel in a similar color?

Regards,
Steve

Herk below is a photo of the M 41 in OD prior to the application of chipping fluid and white paint.

So at this stage you can airbrush the chipping fluid over the tank. Once dry for about 30 minutes or so you can apply a coat of white paint with the airbrush (acrylic). Once the white paint is dry , about 30 minutes , you can start to chip at the paint with a hobby knife, stipple brush , tooth pick or whatever you like. Once you are done chipping and you are satisfied with the results set the model aside overnight. This will help all the paint and moisture dry. Once dry you can go back and do a pin wash , pigments , and the other weathering techniques. I used acrylics (Vallejo air) for the base coat and white coat (Tamiya) on this tank. You can use enamels for the base coat of OD if you want but you cannot have an enamel for the white coat as the enamel will not react to the water during the chipping phase.

Herk

Bill, Ryan,
If I understand you'll correct, the base coat (over primer) should be an enamel - then the chipping fluid - then an acrylic white.  Once the white is dry, then using warm water & a brush start to work the white coat down to the acceptable level.

You mention a winter wash - I understand the black wash (black paint with Windex) - is the winter wash similar only using white?

I was planning to use the same Tamiya Dark Green that I used on the M41, but it is an acrylic!  Do you or Ryan know if Model Master makes an enamel in a similar color?

Regards,
Steve

Bill L2

Quote from: Herk on Thu 10/08/15 05:48 PM
Bill,
I am working on a British Chieftain and would like to do it in a winter scheme like you did your M41.
I read your posting about how you did the finishing, but I don't know anything about the AK heavy chipping fluid you used.  Where did you get this and what else beside the airbrushing of this fluid did you do?  Was the weathering process part of the chipping?  Is there some special weathering process kit for a winter white wash look?
You should do a class on this type of finish - looks VERY good.

Also, the tarp you have draped over the turret bustle looks different from the others - what is it made of, gauze? It seems to have a pattern not smooth like the others.

Regards,
Steve

Herk the effects were achieved with AK Interactive Heavy Chipping fluid. AK makes two chipping fluids. A light and a heavy. I have not used the light chipping fluid. Some modelers also use hair spray hence the "hair spray" technique which I have not tried. There is also the salt technique which entails actually wetting the surface of the model , sprinkling table salt on the wet surface , let surface dry and then remove salt with your finger or a stippling brush. I have used the salt technique on a Zero fighter and really did not like the effect. If I chip a IJN or IJA aircraft I will use William or Clydes technique. Very subtle and realistic. IMO I think we over weather IJN or IJA aircraft and it detracts from the beauty of Japanese aircraft.

So to start with I build the model tank as normal. Base coat and then a filter and pin wash and so fourth. Once complete I will set the kit aside to dry overnight.

When ready to apply the winter wash the following steps are taken. I spray the chipping fluid on the finished model with my airbrush. I spray the product right from the bottle. Keep in mind this product is acrylic based! I apply the product in two or three very light coats. Do not put on to thick. Light coat , dry with hair blow dryer , another light coat , blow dry , and third light coat. Let dry for about 30 minutes. Now you can airbrush on your white. Remember acrylic! I like Tamiya white cut with a little gray. Spray your model with the white and then set aside for about 30 minutes.

Now you can start having fun! I place some tap water in a small plastic cup and with a brush begin to wet or "humidify" the areas you want to chip. I usually start with the edges of the vehicle , tools , grab handles and protruding areas. These areas seem to get the most damage. let the water sit for a couple minutes on the surface. I use a hobby blade and start to scratch and pick at the areas I want to weather and beat up. It usually takes a couple hours to do. I have found through trial and error that "less is more." I have a tendency to overdo the subject. Sometimes I just set the tank down take a step back and study it for a minute. And then go back at it. I have even asked my wife or son how does it look! Yeah I know crazy right.

If Ron and the club would like me to do a demonstration that would be great. I used this technique on the Jagdtiger , sans the winter wash. The Panzer IV was my first attempt at a white wash scheme. The tank represents a vehicle at the battle of "Second Kharkov" in WW2 Eastern front. To be honest I like this technique on armor but for aircraft not so much. Weathering can be a point of contention within the scale model community. Honestly I am moving toward the middle. Not to hot or nor to cold. But trying to find that "just right" spot. That's the challenge IMO.

Ryan K

Not a scientist but the chipping layer reacts to with the water and top layer of paint slowly loses adhesion giving it the washed look. The fluid doesn't work with enamels or Tamiya paints or so I am to believe. Used the same process on the turret build.

As for weathering sets MIG has a snow pigment and other colors to work with washes/filters on snow camos.

Yes it would look interesting, similar to the WW2 OD green Sherman's and others.

Herk

Ryan,
Can you explain how this chipping fluid works.  Does it work on the base coat or on the overlaying coat?  Also is there a winter (white wash / snow) weathering kit?

As the Chieftains were stationed in Northern Germany, this scheme over their dark green base color would be rather interesting.

Regards,
Steve

Ryan K

Not Bill but you can get AK Interactive or MIG chipping from any online hobby store. Sprue Brothers carries both for example. I would use an enamel or Tamiya paint as a base (main paint scheme). Add a layer of chipping fluid. Then a layer of acrylic paint like Vallejo white. Add water and a scrub with a used toothbrush to desired result.

IIRC the Tank Art book suggests coming back then with scheme paint chipping afterwards.

Herk

Bill,
I am working on a British Chieftain and would like to do it in a winter scheme like you did your M41.
I read your posting about how you did the finishing, but I don't know anything about the AK heavy chipping fluid you used.  Where did you get this and what else beside the airbrushing of this fluid did you do?  Was the weathering process part of the chipping?  Is there some special weathering process kit for a winter white wash look?
You should do a class on this type of finish - looks VERY good.

Also, the tarp you have draped over the turret bustle looks different from the others - what is it made of, gauze? It seems to have a pattern not smooth like the others.

Regards,
Steve

Bill L2

Thanks for the comments. It was a fun group build and all the kits looked real good. Some great work.

Herk

Excellent winter scheme! If you could find a nice snow fall photo for a background . . .

Tamiya needs to talk with you on an upgrade for their gun mantlet cover instructions. I'm sure it went on much easier than the plastic bag and hair dryer method they recommend.  It looks excellent, good color and fit. 

Regards

Bill L.

It looks really good!  I was glad to get up close with it (and the others that were there) at the club meet yesterday.

Bill L.

Lee_K

Spanky

Looks great Bill,hard to believe that kit is 40 years old.I'm sure they white washed these things when they went out for maneuvers in the winter time in Germany during the 50s.
spanky

Ryan K

Bill L2

My M41 Bulldog tank in a "what if" winter camo scheme. Could be a tank from a recon unit in the Korean war or a recon tank from a "what if" WW3 in Western Europe after the Berlin airlift failed and hostilities broke out between NATO and Warsaw pact forces. This is the Tamiya kit and went together with no issues. The kit was airbrushed in olive drab Vallejo air colors. Then airbrushed with AK heavy chipping fluid. Set aside to dry for an hour. Then airbrushed with model master acrylic flat white reduced with a little bit of light gray. Let dry for about a half hour. Then did the weathering process. Finished with a pin wash and some pastels. Added some stowage from water/white glue soaked facial wipes. Overall a very fun model to build. I learned from researching this tank that it was very loud and consumed a lot of fuel.