Pacific Coast Models 1/32 scale Spitfire XIVc

Started by Lee_K, Tue 10/13/15 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronv

Lee, once again a really nice Spitfire!!
RonV

lgriffin

Hey Ronnie,

That big fin and rudder were there for good reason - those Griffon Spitfires were a handful. The Griffon-powered Spitfires (Mk XII, XIV, XIX, 21/22, etc) were very different from the Merlin-powered Spits. The Griffons were powerful brutes that would kill an unwary pilot quick - lots of torque, lots of LEFT rudder needed on takeoff (as opposed to RIGHT rudder on the Merlins). The sweet handling characteristics of the early marks were largely gone with the Griffons. But the Griffon-powered Spits were among the most capable piston-engine fighters ever to fly. The Mk XIV was nearly twice as heavy as a Mk I, had double the horsepower, and could fly 100 mph faster - all in a basic airframe about the same size as the Mk I.

Regards,

Lee G. 

Bill L2

Quote from: lgriffin on Wed 10/14/15 02:11 PM
Beautiful model, Lee.

For those who venture into the PCM kit arena, know that they are pretty much limited run kits as Lee K. notes, so they don't fall together, Also, be wary of the markings options provided. They are known to make mistakes with their otherwise beautifully printed and high quality decals. The Mk XIVc Spitfire kit, for instance, has markings for a couple of Pacific based planes, but only "e" versions of the XIV served in the Pacific. All XIVc's served in Europe.

For Bill L2, I believe that PCM kits are available only from them directly. But their online ordering service is excellent.

Looking forward to Lee K's next build!

Cheers,

Lee G.

Thanks. I looked at the PCM website , link provided by Lee K. They also have a FW 190 A model that can be built into other variants and the price is not to bad compared to the Hasegawa kit.

Ronnie Murray

Wow Lee, that kit really pops!  This Spit Mk has an enlarged tail rudder that I don't think I've noticed before but it is sleek, sexy and powerful looking... even though I'm not usually that fond of Spitfires.

Lee_K

As Lee correctly states, PCM kits are now only available directly from their website.  Back in the old days when Great Models was still around you could order kits from there, but after Great Models sold out to Sprue Brothers that arrangement ended.  The owner of PCM, like a number of guys in the industry, is a bit of a firebrand and is known to make enemies.  I've had excellent service ordering directly from them so no complaints from me.

http://pacmodels.com

Lee K

lgriffin

Beautiful model, Lee.

For those who venture into the PCM kit arena, know that they are pretty much limited run kits as Lee K. notes, so they don't fall together, Also, be wary of the markings options provided. They are known to make mistakes with their otherwise beautifully printed and high quality decals. The Mk XIVc Spitfire kit, for instance, has markings for a couple of Pacific based planes, but only "e" versions of the XIV served in the Pacific. All XIVc's served in Europe.

For Bill L2, I believe that PCM kits are available only from them directly. But their online ordering service is excellent.

Looking forward to Lee K's next build!

Cheers,

Lee G.

Bill L2

Lee do you purchase PCM models from their website or an online distributor?

Lee_K

Bill L2

Fantastic model Lee. Looks really sharp.

Ryan K

Another very well done Spitfire you have created.

Lee_K

This is the Pacific Coast Models limited edition Spitfire XIV kit.  The nice thing about PCM kits is that Cartograph decals, color photo-etch harness, instrument panel, radiator pieces, and resin wheel wells, cockpit, exhausts, and wheels are all provided in the kit.  The only aftermarket pieces I used were Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear struts because the kit pieces are a little too skinny.  Like the three PCM models I have built before, it helps to understand that this is a limited-production kit that has large sprue gates, no locator pins, and butt joins for the vertical stabilizers.  The elevators were cut out and posed slightly lowered as seen in almost all photos of Spitfires at rest.  The low parts count compared to Tamiya's brilliant but complicated 1/32 Spitfire series is appreciated.  The Mk XIV was the main RAF air-to-air fighter during the last part of the war and was powered by a Griffon engine with a really groovy five-bladed propeller.  Note for my fellow modelers: the crowbar in the Spitfire's door was NEVER painted red during wartime.  That is something seen in the Mark 22s and 24s and later copied by warbird owners.

Lee K