Ghoulish Models

Started by Bob S, Tue 10/13/15 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

Yeah Bill these are great stress relievers when I get dogged out on an important project -  I just finished a Tijuana Taxi with chickens and all...

Bill L2

Oh man those are so cool. I would love to build one of those. Like the Beer Wagon or Tijuana Taxi.

Bob S

Hey Ryan - I knew you would hone in on the street.  That's the cobblestones that I made for the Walker Bulldog that I snapped the tracks on...

Bob S

Hey Matt - I think your problem with Racing white might be that you're spraying too much too soon. It's very difficult for our human eyes to see the build-up
of any of the gloss whites >>> until it's too late. Try again, and spray around 12" from your subject in several very light mist coats, sanding between each
with 3200 grit...I guarantee you'll have good results.

Ryan K

Cool kits. Really like the street.

Matt C

Hey Bob, do you ever have any issues with Tamiya's racing white? I used it recently, and unlike the Tamiya spray primer or a couple of the dark metallic sprays I've used, it went on very runny, settled into the crevices,  and took forever to dry.

I was pretty disappointed in the performance. Tamiya's white and gray spray primer dries to the touch in a matter of minutes,  so I was fairly surprised at the issues.

Thanks for any insight you have!
-Matt

Bob S

Got these done just in time for Halloween --- these are the old Monogram kits I love as much today as I did as a kid.
The coachwork of the hearse was first spray-painted Tamiya Tan, then hand-painted with Tamiya Clear Orange acrylic to give the look of varnished plywood.
Mr. Bones was painted Tamiya Racing White, then given a wash of diluted Testor's flat black, then rinsed again with brush cleaner.
The cobblestone street was a cool project I found online - it's made from DAS air-dry clay I found at Askew-Taylor in Raleigh. Small clumps were laid on a board next to each other, then pressed and scored with the edge of a stainless rule. Stones were shaped with a sculpting tool. Allowed to dry overnight, then sprayed it with Krylon flat black. Once dry, I used several shades of gray Tamiya acrylics, then thinned Luftwaffe Blue, and finally dry-brushed with white very lightly...added some weeds in the cracks, and voila!
The street rod came from a different seller on eBay as "complete" -- but it was missing the skeleton. (I got jipped.)  Now both cars have to share Mr. Bones.