Tamiya STUG IV 1/35th scale

Started by Bill L2, Sat 11/07/15 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan K

Quote from: Bob S on Mon 11/16/15 06:42 PM
Great photography too! - I forgot to say that in my first post.    I have a good camera - maybe you could teach me how to use it.

Lee K create a class awhile back.
http://www.old.ipmseaglesquadron.org/restored_forum/index.php?topic=871.0

Bob S

Great photography too! - I forgot to say that in my first post.    I have a good camera - maybe you could teach me how to use it.

Ronv

Nice STUG! You did a great job on the weathering!
RonV

lgriffin

Well done! I really like the dust/dirt effect on the skirt as well as the fading/filtering. Nice model!

Lee G.

Bob S

WOW!  You either have a real working knowledge of your subject, or some really great references. Most impressive - I salute you..
I could be convinced this is the real thing in a diorama setting.

Herk

Quote from: Bill L2 on Tue 11/10/15 08:02 PM
Quote from: Herk on Tue 11/10/15 02:42 PM
Considering the hits around the driver position, that guy must feel VERY lucky!

That extension off of the drivers side is a slab of concrete for protection against frontal hits. I guess this tank was one of the most effective weapons the Germans deployed in the war. But your right Herk it got peppered with a lot of shrapnel. I'm sure the life expectancy of a Stug driver was not very long. Like a Huey door gunner in Vietnam.

Ingenious way to "add" additional armor. I'm sure the drivers appreciated it.  Although it doesn't look like a "field mod" this could explain the periscopic sights at the commander position. see next.
According to the web, the StuG IV became known as an effective tank killer, especially on the Eastern Front.  It had a four-man crew, and was issued mainly to infantry divisions.
##Commander in hull left rear
##Gunner in hull left center
##Loader in hull right rear
##Driver in hull left front

Stugs were easier and faster for the Germans to build as they had no turret (& associated equipment).  Usually mounted the same 75mm High velocity gun, but very limited (10 degree each way) traverse.

Bill L2

Quote from: Herk on Tue 11/10/15 02:42 PM

That extension off of the drivers side is a slab of concrete for protection against frontal hits. I guess this tank was one of the most effective weapons the Germans deployed in the war. But your right Herk it got peppered with a lot of shrapnel. I'm sure the life expectancy of a Stug driver was not very long. Like a Huey door gunner in Vietnam.

Herk

Ryan K

Looks good. Something different about the 2nd photo. Looks like it could have been used on the box art or something. Just had that feel to it.

Bill L2

Quote from: Lee_K on Mon 11/09/15 10:50 AM
That camouflage is so effective we can't see anything!  :)

Lee K

No its there Lee. Its a Tiger tank not a Stug!

I guess I will try it again. Its strange, photo bucket has never done this before.

Lee_K

That camouflage is so effective we can't see anything!  :)

Lee K

Ronv

Hey Bill the photos didn't load up.
RonV

Bill L2

This is the Tamiya STUG IV in 1/35th scale. This is the oldest of the Tamiya line of STUG kits. I used the Eduard zimmerit set for the anti mine paste the Germans placed on their tanks. Once I finished building the kit I sprayed it with Tamiya grey primer. Once dry I airbrushed a coat of Tamiya red brown over the entire kit. I then applied two coats of AK Interactive heavy chipping fluid with the airbrush. Once that set for about a half hour I then airbrushed the base color of dunkelgelb "panzer yellow" with Life Color acrylics. I then applied the camo pattern using Vallejo Air Panzer Olive and Tamiya red brown. I then let the tank dry for about an hour. I then lightly moistened the areas I wanted to chip with a flat brush. I then chipped at the tank with a x-acto blade. Once complete I set the kit aside to dry overnight. Over the course of a few days I added a filter, some pin washes with Vallejo acrylic washes, and some weathering effects with the airbrush, pigments, and dry brushing.