Monogram A-1E, done as USMC AD-5, 1/72 scale

Started by Chuck M, Tue 11/10/15 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronv

Nice build and great documentation photos as well. Bring it to the meeting on Sunday love to see it!
RonV

Bill L2

Herk

Chuck,
Interesting photo - first I have seen with a clear rear canopy. Ours were either blue or green. 
I'm sure the color helped to reduce the heat coming through the bulkhead door into the cockpit.  With a clear cockpit, I would recommend either the med evac config mod (See attach) or a "open concept" - basically two benches on each side facing center.  They looked like the C-130 troop seats. One bar with 3-4 seats slung on it - drop the bar to give more room for boxed supply loads.
Regards

Chuck M

Hi Herk,
Thanks for the references...

I built it as the AD-5, as in the attached photo: 

Herk

Chuck,
Considering the "Blue Room" had multiple configurations you have a wide selection to chose from - most Air Force A-1Es were of the utility version, we used that area for hauling supplies, personnel or casualties - what ever we needed the space for. 
Have you decided the version you will have?  I know the AEW version will need a big radom between the landing gear. See below

"The AD-5 was produced in the following models: AD-5 (A-1E) Side-by-side seating for pilot and co-pilot, without dive brakes; 212 built. AD-5N (A-1G) Four-seat night attack version, with radar countermeasures; 239 built. AD-5Q (EA-1F) Four-seat electronics countermeasures version; 54 conversions. AD-5W (EA-1E) Three-seat Airborne Early Warning with APS-20 radar installed; 218 were built. UA-1E Utility version of the AD-5." 

If you are thinking about the AEW version, check this web site:
http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/12/widebody-skyraider.html

Attached photos give an idea of the various AEW/ECM crew configurations

Regards

Chuck M

Heh...I knew one of you would pick up on the hinky Tailcode/Squadron thing...   :)

That's my bad, didn't pay close enough attention to the documentation...

They're aftermarket decals, meant for AD-3s. Couldn't find any in 1/72 specifically for AD-5s.

I can't even verify that either of those squadrons actually had AD-5s assigned, but I have seen evidence that some squadrons were mixed in composition, with some of them having up to 2 AD-5s.

In my research I found that the dark sea blue colors were used through '55 before switching to grey/white, and there are original photos of Marine AD-5s in those colors...

Ryan K

Like the idea Chuck and congrats on finishing a model.

Marines used dark sea blue from late WW2 thru Korea.

For me the tail code/squadron combo has me out of sorts (I can't help it).
During that time:
RM = VMC-1
LD = VMA-212
http://www.koreanwar2.org/kwp2/usmckorea/korea_navy_marine_air.pdf

Chuck M

I've been think about this since I picked the kit up from Jon last year, and now it's finished.

Not my greatest work, but another good "5 foot" model.

Photos here: http://imgur.com/a/Uwfop