Lotus 49 Ford F1

Started by Bob S, Thu 11/19/15 01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

What presentation?              ...just kidding...

Ronv

I am looking forward to your 10 to 15 minute presentation on building car models. Just from your show and tell talk there are many techniques we all could learn.
Thanks for volunteering to do the presentation!!
RonV

Bob S

Ronnie - I do intend to take part in the club build!

Bob S

My favorite too, Bill - I didn't mind buying 2 kits, 'cause I really wanted to build her twice!  Speaking of the black & gold JPS car, my beautiful Hasegawa version
arrived thoroughly MANGLED courtesy of the US Postal Service....and the kicker is, the mail lady that handed it to me wasn't embarrassed about it!

But I PREVAILED (kinda)-- I heated the twisted sprues in a stew pot of warm water, and then taped them on cardboard and put them in the freezer.  It didn't work perfectly, but at least enough for me to build the beauty in spite of everything.

I'll take a picture of the finished car and post it here. I used some bread ties to cinch it down at opposite ends on a clear base, which still bugs me when I look at it!

Bill L2

Nice work Bob. Fantastic models.

Bill L.

Absolutely beautiful Bob. You do museum quality work!  That is one of my favorite Indy cars since I was a kid and had the Matchbox version of that car!
My other two favs at the Blk/Gld John Player Special and the 6-Wheel ELF car! I've been looking causally for those.

Bill L.

Ronnie Murray

Wow Bob, I can only imagine the display cabinets at your home.   Are you going to take part in the club build of the Super Connie?  I want to see your skills applied to the aircraft world.

Bob S

These are the fantastic 1/20 EBBRO kits of the famous Lotus 49 Fords which raced F1 from 1967 to 1970. Jim Clark was the first driver to take the Lotus to victory in 1967.
Other notable drivers included Graham Hill and Mario Andretti. This is also the first car to use the Ford DFV 8-cylinder power plant in F1 racing.
These kits are some of EBBRO's first plastic model kits, and they are a pleasure to build. Perfect in every way, down to the wheel camber.

I used Tamiya Racing Green spray for the CLARKE car, and Bright Red, White and Gold for the Gold Leaf-sponsored HILL car.

Some of the chrome parts were stripped in Liquid Plumr, then painted with Krylon Bright Aluminum, while other pieces were left chromed, more like the actual car.

Brakes were painted Light Gunmetal, then washed with Floquil Tire Black, then the brake vents were rubbed with iron-color powder pigment.

Ignition wiring was included in the kits.

The Gold Leaf decals are from Indycals, and are most excellent...they even include a masking template for the proper paint curve at the nose cone!