McDonnell-Douglas F4J Phantom II

Started by Bob S, Wed 11/25/15 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronv

Nice looking F4! As you can tell by the feedback there are many Phantom 4 Ever guys in the club!
RonV

Bill L2

Nice looking F4 Bob. That must be a tough kit to build. Good job.

Ronnie Murray

Okay Bob, I see you can speak aircraft too.  The Phantom looks really sharp and you're in good company here.   Plenty of F-4 love to go around.

Bob S

Thank you Steve - lots of good information! Now I can define my dio plan.

Herk

Bob,
Been there with the unexpected car repairs - replace engine block on S-10! OUCH

If you can afford the figures, found this Navy website that gives the color of the jersey for the individual deck crewmen (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ships/carriers/rainbow.asp)  Looking at it, for a cat shot, it looks like you will need cat rew in green and cat officers in yellow.  This doesn't include the safety officers (white) looking over everyone's shoulder.
will need a copy of the attached cat officer - definitely an action pose.
Regards.

Bob S

Thanks guys!  Ryan!...Reedoak has the figures I was looking for in 1/32 --- Navy Deck Crew Standing and Kneeling!  AWESOME (for a Marine...)

They're about $23.00 each - may have to wait a bit-- right now I'm recovering from paying for a clutch, slave/master cylinder and new tires for my Ranger 4x4 -- they see you drive in with a 4x4 and the price goes up......don't get me started.....

Ryan K

Nobert is pretty receptive to his customers. I would said him an email and ask.

Herk

Quote from: Ryan K on Wed 11/25/15 10:12 PM
Reedoak prints there own, not shapeways.

Quite correct Ryan - Reedoak is the only company I saw currently marketing a flight deck crew in something close to the scale Bob is looking for.

Was suggesting Shapeways as a possible alternative to get the exact personnel & poses in the scale he desires.

Regards.

Ryan K

Reedoak prints there own, not shapeways.

Herk

Bill,
After looking closer at the photo (deck crew) I think this is a cat shot.  If I remember correctly the wire under the tail was a "hold back" that help hold the A/C until the engines could come up to the correct power. It released as the cat shuttle started to pull the A/C.  Look under the tail of the attached F-4 photo.

As I found more figures in launch poses (unfortunately 1/48) I would recommend trying the cat shot. Attached is a litho that might give you an idea for the cat shot (white clouds are steam)
Regards

Bob S

Thanks for the comments fellas -- and good leads there, Herk...I'll have a look for your recommendations. I honestly hadn't thought of a cat shot dio!

Herk

Bob - Found this through Google - the tag line indicated that Reedoak was producing these in both 1/35 and 1/32 scale.  You might want to check them or just a general google search.  Shapeway (3d printing) might be a source or put you in contact with a creator to make your own personalized deck crew.
Are you wanting to duplicate the landing photo or have you thought of a cat shot of you F-4? (More figures seen for the launch rather than the landing)
Regards

Matt C

Awesome jet, Bob!  The IPMS and its legions of aircraft builders are rubbing off on you already!

Bill L.

Ryan K

CAM 32033 1/32 F-4J Phantom II VMFA-333 Shamrocks