Sturmtiger 1/35th scale

Started by Bill L2, Fri 12/11/15 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lgriffin

Way to go, Bill: Excellent model.

Lee G.

Bill L2

Quote from: Bob S on Mon 12/14/15 08:46 AM
WOW Bill - you finishing work is inspiring...makes me want to learn the art of airbrushing.  Excellent photography too! Magazine Quality..
BTW, what is a "pin" wash?

Bob a "pin wash" is just a wash directed at a very specific point on the model. For example a recessed line or the bolt patterns on a tank wheel or something like that. Here is a good article on the various types of washes and filters.

http://migproductions.com/2010/11/washes-and-filters/

Bob S

WOW Bill - you finishing work is inspiring...makes me want to learn the art of airbrushing.  Excellent photography too! Magazine Quality..
BTW, what is a "pin" wash?

Bill L.

Very nice !! Looking forward to seeing it in December.

WAIT - Did you say your building the Revell F-15E??  - I'm having flashbacks!

Bill L.

Ronv

Bill.... you nailed it! Nice work.
RonV

Bill L2

Thanks for the comments guys.

This is the last tank I will build for a little while. I have a couple planes I am working on right now. I am just about done with the Hasegawa 1/32nd Kawanishi N1K2 IJN fighter. A very nice kit and I should be done with it this week. I am also building the Revell 1/48 scale F 15 E.

Lee_K

I think that's your best armor work ever, Bill.  Fantastic job!

Lee K

Ryan K

Chuck M

Bill L2

This is the Italeri 1/35th Sturmtiger reboxed for Testors. I purchased the kit about two years ago and started the build and then put it away when I became frustrated with the tracks. The tracks are individual links and very time consuming to build. I purchased the kit from Ollies discount store for about twenty dollars. The kit came with a nice plastic display case which I used for my Soviet armor collection.

The Germans took a naval gun attached it to a super structure and mated the super structure to a Tiger 1 lower hull. The vehicle did not see much action and was more likely to be found abandoned on the side of a road.

I finished the kit in my usual manner of painting and weathering. Base coat of Tamiya gray primer, base coat of Tamiya red brown, coat of AK heavy chipping fluid followed by the three tone camo scheme consisting of Life color panzer yellow "dunkelgelb" Vallejo Air panzer olive green and Tamiya red brown. I then lightly moistened the model with a flat brush and tap water and chipped away with a razor knife. I then placed a very light filter 90 % thinner 10% raw umber over the entire tank. Once dry I gave the tank a pin wash with Vallejo brown and some black. I then gave the tank a flat coat and then some dry brushing followed by some dusty pigments.