MPC Chrysler Imperial & Heller Bentley Blower

Started by Bob S, Tue 12/15/15 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lgriffin

Beautiful models, Bob. Great work.

Lee G.

Lee_K

I think the 1930 Bentley 4.5 Litre is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.  I built the Airfix kit almost twenty years ago in that same iconic scheme.  Very nicely done, Bob!

Lee K

Bob S

Yeah, those were the glory days of auto styling - would you agree?

Bill L2

Great job. I really like the Chrysler and the old school California plates!

Ronv

Bob S

Ryan K

Bob S

These are early edition kits from the mid 70's, and the engineering quality was amazing! ....but I'm not a collector of kits - I believe each kit was made to be built, and that is what I intend to do until I just can't anymore, or until I run out of kits.

The MPC 1/25 Chrysler Imperial was painted with Tamiya Dull Red which dries to a satin, so I topped it off with several coats of clear, sanding with 3200 grit between coats to represent the "new" high-gloss paint offered by Chrysler in the 30's. Fenders and running boards are gloss black, and white walls were painted Racing white, and then dull-coated for a more realistic appearance.

The Heller 1/25 Bentley Blower (a supercharged racing version of the '29 Bentley 4.5) finished second in the 1930 French Grand Prix. The main body and wire wheels are painted Tamiya British Racing Green, and the engine cover & chassis - gloss black. The supercharger up front of the grill is Krylon Bright Aluminum, with a grimy enamel wash, and the grill racing number was painted in by hand. The dash panel is Krylon Nickel finish, and the bezels are pure silver. Rivets are from Scale Motorsport.
Interesting to me, back in those days the driver typically DROVE his race car to the track on public roads...raced...and (hopefully) drove it back home to the shed!
So I made a sleeping bag for the driver out of a Bounty paper towel, sized and folded with the tufted side in, rolled, taped, and painted Testor's Olive Drab. Once dry,
it was tied with hemp rope as it might have been done back then, and thrown in the back seat. FUN.