Nismo Pennzoil GT-R

Started by Bob S, Sun 12/27/15 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan K

Quote from: Bob S on Sun 12/27/15 06:42 PM
Hey Ryan - Tamiya WAS an actual sponsor...as a matter of fact, they sponsored several racing cars in LeMans, Formula One and Japan Grand Prix for the rights to reproduce them as model kits. Back in the 70's, Revell did the same in drag racing. Ain't that cool?

That's is cool.

Bob S

Well thank you Ron -- I guess you could say I'm a gearhead...motorsport is my passion!

Ronv

Way too cool....once again nicely done!
RonV

Bob S

Hey Ryan - Tamiya WAS an actual sponsor...as a matter of fact, they sponsored several racing cars in LeMans, Formula One and Japan Grand Prix for the rights to reproduce them as model kits. Back in the 70's, Revell did the same in drag racing. Ain't that cool?

Ryan K

Great job. Was Tamiya an actual sponsor or did they/you just add it?

Bob S

You bet Matt! -- I've got two more Skyline cars in the "oven" right now...the V-spec version which will be Metallic Red over Silver Leaf,
and the Z-tune version, which is Metallic Blue over Silver Leaf. Hopefully I'll have these done by the next meeting...

Matt C

Yay GT-R!  Bob, that looks fantastic! I love the way you created the Pennzoil gold from several shades. Hope you bring it in to the next meeting!

Bob S

Attention Herk:  Heh...Heh...Heh!

Herk

Bob,
Will you stop going to the car showrooms, taking photos, and passing them off as models! ;-).

Very good models and detailed information about the model.  Keep It UP!

Regards.

Bob S

Based on the Nissan Skyline, this heavily modified racing version entered in the 1999 Japan GT Championship series is the Pennzoil NISMO GT-R, the NISMO works machine driven by the Comas/ Motoyama team. Extremely stable at high speeds, it scored points in all 6 rounds of the series, and Comas took the Driver's trophy two years in a row. With a 517 H.P. inline-6, the car often saw contenders such as the Acuras and Toyotas in the rear-view mirror!

This is the Tamiya version as it appeared in Gran Turismo 3....The color called for was Pearl Yellow, so to mimic this color with spray-paint, I used Testor's INCA GOLD one-coat lacquer over a base of Tamiya TS-47 Chrome Yellow (For the "one-coat" lacquer, I actually used about 3 coats) and the lower area of the body was painted Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black.....then the decals, which were a bit thick, but did just fine with Micro Sol setting solution. I wired up the comm. boxes and all electrical through the interior. The roll cage is Krylon Nickel finish, with satin black for the cage padding. The racing seat is Tamiya AS-8 Navy Blue in the cushions, and Scale Motorsport Carbon Kevlar around back. The slicks are sanded with Tamiya 180 grit sandpaper, and the wheels are Gunmetal over flat black, with NISMO decals applied, then clear-coated. Exhaust was painted with Krylon Bright Aluminum, and detailed on the inside with Tamiya Rust powder pigment on a sponge applicator. The heat shield around the exhaust is Bare Metal Foil burnished down with a cotton swab. The brakes are little works of art by those crafty engineers at Tamiya, so I detailed them up with a coat of bright aluminum finish, then a mix of Gunmetal and Bronze for the calipers, then washed with heavily-diluted flat black to bring out those details. Front to rear, the stance was prefect right out of the box with no tweaking needed!