Motul Pitwork GT-R

Started by Bob S, Sun 02/07/16 04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck M

That's pretty awesome, Bob!

Bob S

A consistent performer in the Japan GT Championship, the MOTUL PITWORK 2003 GT-R is an improvement over the 2002 car with raised front fenders,
a more compact rear end, and air outlets behind the front wheels and a rear diffuser to counter-balance the new flat-bottomed chassis rules for the 2003 racing season. Powered by a stout 3-liter V6 Twin Turbo, the car was still agile enough for fast cornering, and braking in an instant. A powerful machine combined with excellent strategy and a speedy pit crew saw many championships for these cars that were based on the Skyline GT-R!

This is the 1/24 scale Tamiya Special Edition kit of the famous car, and I chose to replicate the car as it appeared in Gran Turismo. Photo-etched brake discs, front
grills, and hood pins were included in the kit, as well as a full carbon-fiber decal sheet with templates printed on the back. I was able to snag this excellent kit off of eBay, but the trade-off was the old, brittle decals. I had to work with them long and carefully, and flood them with setting solution to get them to see things my way.
Body colors are Tamiya Italian Red and Silver Leaf (this is the body I brought to the Jan. meeting to demonstrate some polishing methods). Electronics are wired front to back. The chassis is Nato Black and Gunmetal, with carbon fiber installed. The rollcage is Krylon Bright Aluminum, dash is NATO black, steering column is twill weave carbon fiber. Driver seat is wine color, with Kevlar decaling around back. Spoiler is Gloss Black. P/E brake discs are washed with diluted tire black, and exhaust stains down the sides of the car are Tamiya Rust powder pigment rubbed on with a sponge applicator. Great stance on this car, with no tweaking needed. Clearcoat is Tamiya Clear, and polished out with Meguire's Ultimate Shine.