Pratt & Miller Corvette

Started by Bob S, Tue 03/29/16 09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

Thanks Lee - I've got a couple more Corvettes "in the oven" right now - these are FUN builds to me!

lgriffin

Another winner, Bob!

Lee G.

Bob S

Very kind of you to say Bill.  I guess you've noticed I'm a plastic junkie --- I need an INTERVENTION!

BTW, I do enjoy a tasty adult beverage (or 3) toward the end of my work day at the bench.

Bill L.

I swear you must have built, or need to build, a separate 'garage' for all these model cars you build.  You build so many so quickly. Each and every one is a master piece. I am just amazed how quickly you turn these out with the quality being so high!! 

My god man, step away from the plastic and eat a sandwich!! Better yet, take 5 and grab a beer!  LOL

Bill L.

Ronv

Hey no worries! The only reason for interior photos is to see the work you did. The rib stitching on one of your interiors was really nice. Don't break a model just for photographs!
RonV

Bob S

Ron- I'm just finishing up a Compuware Corvette I'll be posting soon - I'll be sure to make some shots of the guts of that one before I button it down. Both cars are essentially the same kit with sponsor variations for the decals. The cars are identical under the shells. I think I closed the shell pretty tight on the Earnhardt car. I've broken stuff before by trying to pry the body off for a belated interior shot.
The only difference is that I made the driver's debris screen from actual window screen on the Compuware car. (looks more realistic I think)

Ronv

Thats ok, your car interiors are just as good as your car exteriors. I like to see your work in both areas.
RonV

Bob S

Sorry Ron - I'm kinda slack when it comes to picture taking. I'll make some pictures of the inside.

Ronv

WOW! Any photos of the inside?
RonV

Ryan K

Bob S

The Corvette C5-R is a grand touring racing car built by Pratt & Miller and Chevrolet for competition in endurance racing. The car is based on the C5 generation of the Chevrolet Corvette sports car, yet is designed purely for motorsports use. It became one of the most dominant cars in GT categories, with wins at the 24 Hours of Daytona, 12 Hours of Sebring, and 24 Hours of Le Mans, as well as championships in the American Le Mans Series.

The 2001 24 Hours of Daytona race was the first time the car was driven by Dale Earnhardt and Earnhardt, Jr. in both the 24 Hours and the Corvette C5-R, with their car finishing fourth overall. Feeling that the C5-R was a capable winner anywhere, Pratt & Miller ran their first full season of the ALMS and earned six class victories, including their second at the Petit Le Mans. The C5-R also took its first victory at Le Mans, finishing eighth overall and 34 laps ahead of the closest competitor in their class.

This is the very nice 1/25 Revell kit of the car, which included an extensive decal sheet. I used Tamiya Camel Yellow for the body shell, and satin black for the tail end, which proved a bit difficult to mask with the compound curve and no ledge as an end-point for the mask. I then added the decals, and allowed plenty of dry time before I buried them under 2 coats of Tamiya Clear for gloss and protection. Window glass was masked off and the trim was painted flat black from the inside, which appears as ultra-high gloss from the viewer's perspective looking thru the glass. Chassis was painted NATO black. The real rubber tires were harvested from a Tamiya Denso Toyota Le Mans kit, sanded roughly from a long day at Daytona. The wheels were first painted gloss black, then shot with Alclad ii Aluminum paint for the bright outer rims. Once dry, the inner hubs were given a coat of Tamiya Light Gunmetal.  Roll bars are padded with painted masking tape cinched down with zip-ties made from .01mm bead wire.