Nissan R390 GT1 Le Mans

Started by Bob S, Sun 05/01/16 03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill L2

Outstanding model Bob. Great job.

Ronv

I like the idea of drilling out the injector pin marks and creating "lightning" holes like those used in aircraft ribs. Nobody would know the difference.
RonV

Lee_K

Bob S

Funny you should mention the seatbelt thing Lee - I've already done that! - I just failed to replace the old photo here. I painted masking tape, cut the mfgr decals and left them on their backing, applied the decals to the "belts" with white glue, and added P/E hardware. You can actually see my revision on Model Cars Magazine forum!

Lee_K

Bob, that looks fantastic.  One tip I would respectfully send your way is to not apply the seat belts as a decal, but instead cut them out of the sheet, color the edges with an appropriate Sharpie, and then apply then to the seat with white glue.  This will give a bit of a more three dimensional effect and allow you to drape them over the seat in a more natural way.

Lee K

Bob S

Excellent point Ryan - I had a lot of trouble finding good useable pictures of this car - and I've never seen one in person, so maybe drilling out for holes could work.

Ryan K

Not sure there is much you do with the firewall but for the spoiler support, you could drill it out and add some more angles to it if don't like the circle, similar to the lower portion of the support. Don't think many would now any different.

Good build over all.

Bob S

Hey Ron - I see what you mean.  I didn't know what those were called, and I've seen them on other parts.  This is why I joined a club...I knew there would be a lot of folks farther ahead in the hobby than me, and I was hoping to learn my mistakes from you guys.

Ronv

Nicely done Bob!! Great internal detailing and thanks for the internal photos!

The only thing I could possibly suggest would be that if you are going to display it with the body off would be to fill in the injector pin marks on the rear spoiler verticals on the inside surface and the rear side of the fire wall. If not displaying it with the body off then the pin marks shouldn't be visible which is what you probably planned on doing all along.  :)

RonV

Bob S

Ha! Thanks Lee - funny you should say that - Matt C is who I got the kit off of back at our November Swap Meet!

lgriffin

Another fabulous build, Bob. I bet Matt C. would like to drive one of those. :-)

Lee G.

Bob S

Hey Bill - hope you're on the mend!

Thanks for the kind words... the engine bay is a multi-media combination of Krylon Brilliant Aluminum (which they quit making) for the firewall,
Bare Metal Foil for the under-engine heat shield - rubbed with a black oil powder pigment to appear grimy, and high-heat exhaust paint for the plastic chassis...it gives a silky finish that emphasizes the kit details nicely. I must say if you intend to give the high-heat paint a try, prime your stuff with 2 coats of primer first...otherwise the paint will scorch the plastic. It's really made for metal. Ask me how I know.

It'll be good to see you again soon - that is, when you feel like it. Prayers are with you! 

Bill L.

That looks like REAL metal chassis for the engine compartment.  If that is 'just paint' you really did a masterful job.  The whole car is gorgeous!!!

Bill L.

Bob S

After returning to sports car racing in 1995, Nismo (Nissan Motorsport) had some measure of success with their Skyline GT-R LMs which had competed in the GT1 class. However, these cars were quickly outpaced by the influx of new manufacturers who were using loopholes in the GT regulations to build racing cars that bore little resemblance to their GT1 class competitors. This led to such machines as the Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR and Porsche 911 GT1, as well as the development of the McLaren F1 GTR. Nismo's Skyline GT-Rs therefore needed to be replaced with more purpose built machinery.

Turning to Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR), Nismo began developing a prototype of the R390 GT1, named to follow in the tradition started in the 1960s with Nissan's R380. The first decision for Nismo and TWR was the choice of engine. The previous Skyline GT-R LMs had used the trusted RB26DETT Inline-6 motor, but the design was old for a racing car, employing an iron block which added weight, and had a high center of gravity. Nismo instead chose to resurrect an engine from the Nissan R89C, a racing car from the Group C era. Its engine, the VRH35Z, was a 3.5L V8 which used an aluminium block, as well as having a lower center of gravity and a better ability to be used as a stressed member over the RB26. Thus the engine was upgraded and designated VRH35L, and would produce approximately 641 hp (478 kW) at 6800 rpm. For road going versions, the engine was detuned to 550 HP.

For 1998 the R390 was modified, most notably in the extension of its rear bodywork to create increased "luggage space" in order to satisfy the ACO, a new rear wing for racing models (production road cars had no wing), and the addition of a rear diffuser for improved downforce, after all three cars failed scrutineering at the 1997 event and had to be modified in order to be allowed to race. This subsequently led to overheating problems for the gearbox, and ultimately their failure during the race. Thus the "long tail" version was created, which boasted increased downforce thanks to the extended rear bodywork.

This is the 1/24 Tamiya kit of the car, and I chose to replicate the car as it appears in Test Drive LeMans. The body shell is Tamiya Metallic Blue over a base color of Silver Leaf. Paint was polished up with 3200 thru 12000 grit MicroMesh abrasives, and given a final polish with Meguiar's Scratch-X. Mesh was added for vents and grills, and kit decals were used as well as a few sponsor decals from Studio 27.

Lots added in the engine bay -- Thermostats were added to the radiators and exhaust system, as well as shielded cable, spark plug wires and fuel lines from Detail Master. Transmission fluid box and tail light wiring is from Model Factory Hiro. Exhausts were given a bit of burnt metal powder pigments of scalding blue and furnace orange.

Driver electronics are fully wired from the comm. boxes, to temp gauges, to front lights. The front brake air ducts were scratch-built from parts-box leftovers.
The P/E rivets and fast-release hood pins are from Scale Motorsport.