Tamiya 1/32 scale F-14 Tomcat converted to a D

Started by Lee_K, Tue 06/07/16 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee_K

Thanks Ryan and Ron!  Ron, you saw this very airplane in flight -- that's a special moment indeed.

Lee K

Ronv

Very nicely done Lee! I was actually there at the NAS Oceana Tomcat Farewell ceremony airshow in 2006. Quite a sight!
RonV

Ryan K

Lee_K

My first completion of 2016, it took me five solid months of work to get this one on the deck. Tamiya 1/32 scale F-14A converted to a F-14D using the Wolfpack Design conversion set (new dual chin pod, engine exhausts, fuselage inserts). Since the Tamiya kit is over 30 years old and only provides decals for the instrument panels and consoles, I installed a Black Box resin cockpit. Also added were Wheelliant resin wheels which were very delicate and crumbled on the rims a bit during assembly. The Tamiya kit curiously has raised panel lines on the fuselage but recessed lines on the nose section and wings, so the fuselage was re-scribed. Markings are for a CAG bird at the NAS Oceana Tomcat Farewell ceremony in 2006. Since it came back from a long deployment, it was fairly well worn but was touched up to look presentable for the air show. Weathering was done with paint diffusion of the main camouflage scheme, a dark wash, chalk pastels, and fresh paint applied in areas that the corrosion control crew touched up the airplane with spray cans.

Thanks to Bill L for the kit and support.

Lee K