Vacuum Degassing - A success and another tool in my arsenal

Started by Anthony Leger, Fri 09/04/09 06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

That really looks cool and I am sure the results are vastly improved resin castings.   (Wait for it....) Whenever I de-gas I have to blame the dog.

Got a "new" rescue dog from the SPCA for Christmas.  Female, spayed, 8 month old mixed Hound Dog.  Really it is like having another baby in the house.

Shane

Anthony Leger

In case you missed it elsewhere here is what RTV looks like as it degases. Whole process is about 2 minutes from turning on the pump to releasing the vacuum...then it's poured into the mould forms

Anthony Leger

too funny you guys  :D Gave me a true appreciation for what happens in a vacuum. Guess testing those first space suits were worrisome too

BenB

Oh, it's for models. I thought I was going to finally be able to give up the Gas-X!   ;D

Ben

Bill L.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  - That's great!  It truly is Weird Science!!  :D

Bill L.

Bill L2

Anthony Leger

Checked the casting quality and it is perfect. Now I can restart a couple of stalled projects.

...tony

Bill L.

That sounds very cool Tony.  I would really like to see the whole process some time.

Bill L.

Anthony Leger

After an extended time in waiting with this project. I successfully vacuum degassed some RTV I had mixed for some moulds in a setup I made. First making a good sized chamber to getting past fears of implosion to finding a 3/4" thick piece of acrylic so I would watch the degassing progress. Buying one prebuilt can run you $350-400 a tad bit expensive. I had bought a new robinair vacuum pump & gauge cheap on ebay & then various fittings/hose. I was ready and I really needed some bubble free moulds so my castings would improve lowering that cost as well. 

It was pretty cool watching as the air was evacuated the rubber began to expand and expand like water boiling. I let it do this for a few minutes then released the vacuum. All the bubbles disappeared to a very smooth liquid I then poured over my masters. Tomorrow I demould and will try them out....I can hardly wait.

regards,
tony