Tamyia - John Player Special Mk. III - Update

Started by Bill L., Wed 09/05/18 06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill L.

JPS Update: I haven't had much time to work on the car, but hoping to get it done in 2018.
Still prodding along.

Bill L.

Bob S

Excellent, Bill.  65 feet should hold you a while - (at least through the weekend)!

Bill L.

Hey Bob S. - This is what I found. Nothing else had a 'gauge' spec on it.

Bill L.

Bill L.

Bob S

Hey Bill, I think the J.P.S. kit you're referring to is 1/24 scale? If that's right, everything the guys told you about would work, but lately, I've been using a much cheaper and available alternative. It's 26 gauge bead stringing wire from Michael's . It comes in a 30 YARD ROLL for about $3.00, which is a tenth of the price of the alternatives, and Michaels always has it in stock. What appeals to me is that you can bend it just as the wiring diagram suggests, and it doesn't spring back from memory since it comes in a roll instead of being folded on a card. Even if it's cheaper, skip the card-folded stuff - it will always keep the zig-zag shape from being folded for who knows how long - no matter how much you stretch it or pull it across your surface. The bead wire color is gloss black - to me, it seems OK at scale, since actual plug wire rubber has a satin sheen anyway.
If the kit is 1/12 scale, have a look in the bead stringing section for a greater size gauge of the same product - they're usually displayed very close together.

Matt C

Orvis (at Triangle Town Center, or Bass Pro Shop) has a really great array of colorful fly fishing line that would work. You can also likely find lead wire in the fly fishing section.

If you'll be at the meeting Sunday, I can bring my rolls of lead wire and you can snip off what you need rather than have to buy a whole roll for one project.

Ryan K

Depending on scale I would say computer wire, you can also looking at floral wire. Lots of gauges to choose from. Bob has also talked about fly fishing line.

Studio 27 has this product for the engine. While OOP, it has some additional wiring diagraming that you might find helpful. 
http://studio27onlineshop.com/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000005571&search=FP20122&sort=

HTH

Bill L.

Hey Bob (and all you car builders) - The kit calls for wiring to the cylinder heads, but nothing was provided (ebay Kit).

What would you recommend I use? Thread seems a bit flimsy.