Highlights from July club meeting

Started by lgriffin, Tue 07/16/19 07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Thanks for the welcome Lee!  Glad to finally have gotten my act together.

Also, I wanted to clarify one thing that I brought up during the meeting on Sunday.  When talking about using weights for models (to avoid 'tailsitting' aircraft) I got the material completely wrong.  I meant to suggest tungsten, NOT titanium, for weights.  Should have known better.

Link where you can find that same material we used for the cub scout pinewood derby is here: https://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/weights.php

At the very top of the page, there's an illustration that depicts the difference between lead (which most of us has used for weight) vs. steel and tungsten.  Somewhere near the bottom 1/3 of the page, you'll find tungsten putty.  This stuff is AWESOME and can utilized in the smallest of places (nose cones of 1/72 F-15's or behind the engines of B-29's for example)

Just wanted to correct the error and share an idea, that's all. 

In any event, glad that I finally had a chance to get to a meeting!

lgriffin

Here are a couple of highlights from our July 14 meeting:

- Our scheduled speaker, an F-105 pilot who flew in Viet Nam, had to cancel because of a family issue. We will work to re-schedule. Woody Griffin is in contact, and we will discuss when the best time is to reschedule. We're considering October. (August is not good due to conflict with IPMS National Convention, and September is being planned as a picnic and swap meet.)

- The IPMS-USA National Convention is August 7-10 in Chattanooga, TN. Some club members are planning to go. Note that general admission is $12 per day (!). If you're going to go and be there multiple days it might be worth considering joining IPMS and registering: You must to be an IPMS national member to register (or be a family member of a registrant and listed on the form as a guest). http://www.ipmsnationals.com/

- IPMS-USA officer elections are under way. For those who are IPMS-USA members, you have until September 1 to cast your votes for officers.

- Regarding elections: For our club elections, usually held in December, you must be a paid member of Eagle Squadron to cast votes for club officers. We welcome all attendees and club membership is not required, though encouraged. Just know that you must be a paid member to vote in club elections.

- We need to establish a regular contact person who will coordinate with Anna Mir at RC Hobby in Fuquay her opening her shop from 3-5pm on our meeting days (the second Sunday of the month). Is someone willing to accept this role?

- Our next group build is "ships," scheduled for the October meeting. Build and bring a "ship," broadly interpreted to be anything nautical as well as space-"ships."

- We had one new member, Rob Rode, who has attended and participated in a couple of RDUCon's. Rob is a very good modeler. Welcome.

Thanks,

Lee Griffin (Chapter Contact)