F105D

Started by Ibra T, Thu 08/13/20 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenB

Quote from: Ibra T on Sat 08/29/20 08:03 PM
Lee.  Thanks again for bringing in the decals. And the book.  I wish I had taken a closer look at the stencils on the side view.  Would you please post the rest of the profile ahead of the tail section you posted. From the photos online seem to show a dearth of stencils.  Also, I started on the Sunderland and may build it as a Mk I. 

Hi!

Fortunately, the Thuds didn't carry much in the way of stencils during the early days of camouflage. They were painted at the depo level in Japan or Taiwan (I can't remember), so the only stencils were the basic rescue markings near the cockpit, the ejection seat triangles, and the vertical "TURBINE KEEP CLEAR" stencils on the aft fuselage. I used stencils from some F-100 Super Sabre decal sheets for all of these on my Thud. They're included on at least two of Caracal's F-100 decal sheets. There are some good photos over at Prime Portal that should give you an idea of what stencils to use: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/f-105_home.htm

Cheers!
Ben

Ibra T

Lee.  Thanks again for bringing in the decals. And the book.  I wish I had taken a closer look at the stencils on the side view.  Would you please post the rest of the profile ahead of the tail section you posted. From the photos online seem to show a dearth of stencils.  Also, I started on the Sunderland and may build it as a Mk I. 

lgriffin

Ibra,

I have some dry transfers for you to look at if you come to the August meeting on Wednesday.

Lee G.

Ibra T

I did see your reply and now that I see that I may need the numbers and letters as the ones I thought would suffice are too big. Double the size

lgriffin

Hi Ibra, did you see my post in the decal book thread?

The tail codes in the photo you posted are of an incorrect size, I believe. The actual size of the USAF and serial number on the real aircraft is six inches, which is 1/8 inch in 1/48 scale. See the attached photo of an artist rendering which I believe shows correct dimensions.

Lee Griffin

Ryan K

Looks great Ibra.

Ibra T

So Bill L2 is supplying stencils. I am scavenging Natl markings from F4C.  I just need these.  If anyone can help.  Larry are you out there?

Ibra T

Update.  Rookie errors still will have to repaint the tan and the "fs36622". 

Ibra T

Hey Rob.  I am doing Pussy Galore.  Larry gave me the nose art all I need is the Natl markings (four small stars and bars) and tail markings "USAF" in black and "24364" in white.   Maybe a couple of other stencils like the red triangles and the yellow arrows. Any help would be appreciated.   I need to go to hobby lobby and pick up some model master enamels tomorrow.  Dark tan and camouflage grey.  Yours is looking good. Whose bird is it?

Rob

Damn!  The group build theme for Jan. should have been "Thud-fest"  I'm inching ever closer on my 105-f (just re-glued the nose pitot again after breaking it off for the 3rd time!!!) and I just gave Lee a set of 105D left-over decals I had.  I saw in another post that you're also looking for decals Ibra....do you have a particular aircraft in mind?  I might have another set hanging around (I've got another 105F and 105G in the build queue!)

Otherwise, looks like you're off to a great start!

Ibra T

I needed a quick build since my last quick build  is going on forever.  I'm hoping the pic attaches as I can't see it when I select preview