Leonard "Hawk" Hunter P-51B Mustang

Started by Lee_K, Mon 03/22/10 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lgriffin

Great work, Ronnie. I think we should leave your figure with Hawk's model since you went through the effort. I'll do something again for the next project.

Cheers,

Lee G.

Ronnie Murray

Sorry Lee but I was racing against the clock.  I saw some issues I would have addressed including the gunsight but the clock won the race before I got it all done.    Either way, Hawk was very pleased with it and sat it on his mantle right beside the F-4 Phantom model.   He calls his mantle the place of honor.  You would not believe the incredible collections he has at his home...books, videos, hats, jackets....very extreme. He places the models we've given him above all that stuff.

Lee_K

Great save, Ronnie!  Thanks for putting it back together again.  I don't suppose you added a gunsight, did you?   ;D

Lee K

Ronnie Murray

This shot shows the drop tanks and plant life I added.  I thought these additions would help complete the look by adding a bit of color and the profile we were given of Mr. Eaglestons aircraft had underwing fuel tanks.

Ronnie Murray

Lee G. ,,check my latest post on the Tuskegee P-51 project at (works in progress).  Hawk accidently dropped the model and a few parts were broken.   I picked it up about two weeks ago and made the needed repairs plus a few extra tweaks that just seemed necessary like drop tanks, a bit of vegetation for the base and a pilot figure.  The "Reheat" figure I did isn't as well painted or detailed as yours but I had the opportunity while it was in my hands.  He has some teaching opportunities coming up this month and I just wanted the display to look it's best.  We can switch out the figures as soon as your figure is completed. 

lgriffin

The replacement head is on its way from Ultracast, so when I get the figure repaired and painted I'll contact Hawk and add the figure to the model and base. I'll be sure to take pictures.

Cheers,

Lee G.

Anthony Leger

Beautiful work folks and nice to be able to make something that will generate great discussion beyond the club as it serves to educate and bring back some fond memories.

thanks all.

Lee_K

Thanks to all that participated in making this project another excellent contribution to the Tuskegee Airmen's legacy:

Bill Leary: assembled and painted the landing gear
William Reece: assembled the wings and horizontal stabilizer, cut out gun ejection chutes
Woody Griffin: painted the canopy pieces
Tony Leger: assembled and painted the cockpit, created and applied "Gerry II" nose art
Ryan Koschatzky: created the display base and plaque
Ronnie Murray: obtained the kit, procured decals, and coordinated with Hawk
Lee Kolosna: assembled, painted, decaled, and weathered model
Lee Griffin: obtained and painted resin figure

Hawk was extremely appreciative and learned a little more about what went into making a detailed scale replica by listening to our show 'n' tell section of the meeting.  We can all be very proud of our accomplishments and once again demonstrated to the community at large our willingness to commit our valuable time and resources to a worthwhile cause.

Lee K