Eduard 1:48 Albatross D.V

Started by Joe M, Thu 10/28/10 08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lgriffin

Bravo! Beautiful model!

Cheers,

Lee G.

Joe M

Thanks again guys, the comments are appreciated. A lot of what I've learned since coming back to the hobby in earnest has been from you guys, the members of our club!

Woody, I would be happy to demo the rigging and the painting technique; both are really a piece of cake. Rigging get hairy though; waving a hot soldering iron around under a just completed and painted model isn't done without a bit of trepidation. Spanky, I made the turnbuckles out of very fine wire wrapped and twisted around the smallest diameter drill bit that I have in my micro bit set. I then cut them to length with my No.11, threaded them with the rigging wires prior to making the second attachment and fixed them in place with some white glue.

WoodyG

Joe M: Your aircraft are unbelievable! They just get better and better.  You are certainly one of the top modelers in the club. Congrats again to you and Kati in Fredericksburg. BTW, Rudy's plane is natural metal, so when you do the turrets, make sure you paint the frames natural metal. I cannot believe your Pencil didn't win something in Fredericksburg. There must have really been some nationals quality models there.  I would love to see a demo not only on the wood finish, but how you do that rigging. The rigging is what has kept me from building a WWI plane.  See you Monday, Woody G.

Spanky

Joe,you nailed the wood,please excuse pun.Killer job!What did you use for the turnbuckles?
spanky

Anthony Leger

Stunning piece of work. It looks great.

regards,
Tony

Joe M

Here's my version of the D.V, finished and rigged. This was a fun build, taking on some new techniques such as painting the wood finish on the exterior of the plane and some home made photo etch (including the spandaus). The decal sheet I bought has enough for another four or five birds... maybe looking to do a D.Va in the near future :)

The rigging was done how I normally do - stretched sprue glued into pilot holes pulled tight by the heat of a soldering iron, then painted silver.

I would be happy to demo the wood finish - was very easy to apply. The prop was done the same way as the exterior panels, with oils streaked over an acrylic base, sealed with Future.

-Joe