Trumpeter 1/48 scale F-100C Super Sabre

Started by Lee_K, Fri 09/06/13 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill L2

Ronv

Ronnie Murray

Ooooooooohhh, man that is a mean lookin' aircraft.  I really like the decal on the rudder and good choice on the paint scheme.  Nice metal finish as well.  Typical Lee K project, very cool.

Anthony Leger

Ryan K

Lee_K

The Trumpeter kit has all of the flaws of the larger 1/32 scale kit, and there are many.  Since this is part of Eagle Squadron's 4th Fighter Group project, I chose to build the model with what was in the box and not fret about inaccuracies, so this turned out to be a fun kit to do because the pressure to correct all of the issues was off.  I did add a pivot point to the elevons, posed the canopy in the open position, added ejection seat harnesses, shortened the main landing struts a couple of millimeters to give the model a more correct stance, and  added some Mk 117 bombs from the Hasegawa weapons set.  The Super Scale decals are also full of errors, but only a die-hard Hun enthusiast would notice.  These aircraft were painted in aluminum lacquer so I used Floquil Bright Silver overall, with various shades of Alclad for the engine hot sections.  This aircraft is from the 333rd FS, 4th FW, Seymour Johnson AFB, 1959.  My sincere thanks go to Ben Brown for reference photos and guidance in building this model.

Lee K