Skunkmodels 1/72 MQ-9 Reaper

Started by Ryan K, Mon 01/11/21 05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan K

Quote from: Lee_K on Fri 01/29/21 09:21 AM
Interesting -- I did not know that drones got all mungy like that, almost like Navy jets from a carrier.

Nicely done!

Thank.

Honestly I don't know if they do or not, probably not. Hard to get any real photos on 160th gear. I based it on 160th helo builds and figured while not a helo they operate close to each other and probably where subject to rotor wash grime.

Lee_K

Interesting -- I did not know that drones got all mungy like that, almost like Navy jets from a carrier.

Nicely done!

Ryan K

The rest of the model might be bad but that rubbed off spot kept nagging me so I fixed good enough.

Ryan K

Based on information from a Mike who gave me the kit at the fall contest (comes with two drones, gave one away to Rob) this is a bird from F Co, 160th SOAR.

To paint a black 160th bird the mix I have seen that looks best is Model Master Helo Drab and Interior Black mixed 1:1. I didn't have that on hand so I went with Tamiya XF-51 Khaki Drab, XF-85 Dark Rubber and XF-1 Black in a 6/4/3 ratio. I first primed with Tamiya fine white has I thought about using Vallejo paints instead. The wash is MIG pigment mix of 4 colors, adding a little bit of pigment to water mix. I slopped it on, dried it the airbrush and then removed mostly of the mix with a q-tip and an old stiff brush. Went a little fair as I rubbed the paint off the front left. It will look fine in the back of the display case/area that no one else looks at.