Monogram 1/48 Do-335 converted to Do-335 B-4 recon

Started by Ronnie Murray, Sun 02/24/13 07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill L.

Looks good Ronnie.  I've alway amazed by this plan after seeing it in the SUH Museum.  Its bigger than most people would imagine.
..and its another completed model for 2013.

Bill L.

Bill L2

Nice model Ronnie. I like the contrast in the colors. A very awesome airplane.

Ronnie Murray

Just one more so I can show off my kitchen floor background.   I like the overall contrast of the RLm 84, 83 and 71.  I did not weather this model since it represents a brand new aircraft.  I was surprised to learn about those bubbles or blisters you see on the canopies of the Do-335 and Mosquito.  I thought the pilot was putting his head in there to get a one-eyed look behind him.  It turns out that a rear view mirror was mounted in the blister so the pilot could sit as normal and see more of what was going on, just like in a car or truck.  The Do-335 was very fast of course but it did suffer from a huge blind spot in the rear.  These canopies also indicated a model with a pressurized cabin.  The Luftwaffe started this aircraft out as a blitz-bomber and it would've carried an impressive bomb load internally.  Then they started fussing that it should be a heavy daytime fighter to counter bombers.  This model would use the large internal cavity to hold an extra fuel cell.  Then the emphasis was focused on making it the ultimate recon plane.  The cavity would hold the twin pack camera equipment as my model has.  "Does any of this sound similar to the story of the Me-262"  Doh!!  Thank God for the blunders of their leadership.

Ronnie Murray

Since this long-winged mutha was a recon bird I took the liberty of tweaking the well known paint scheme to include a bottom covered in RLM 84 Dunkleblau or dark blue.  It is very similar to the blue you see on the British recce birds like the Mosquito and Spitfire.  I think it would be a better blend of the sky at high altitudes above the clouds and where the sky is darker.  Plus, it just makes my Dornier look different from all the other models you've seen on model web sites.  I have photos of the last Do-335 on Earth, it's in the Udvar Haazy center in Washington D.C.   It's a very large and impressive aircraft.  This was why I painted the landing gear bays silver, the restored airplane shows them that way.  The second image is a close up of the landing light and leading edge of the wing.  I used that wavy camo like on the Ta-152.  Just having some fun.

Ryan K

Looks good.

Quote from: Ronnie Murray on Sun 02/24/13 07:16 PM
it's on the shelf and I like it.

That is the most important part.

Ronnie Murray

By now it's obvious that I didn't review the "Lee Kolosna photo tutorial" before taking these images.  There is a yellowish glow of the standard indoor lighting and the focus is off.   My background is a bit bland and shaky but it's been ages since I've posted any images on any web site so I'm just glad to be sharing these with anybody who might get a kick out of them.  The resin wheels are more beefy than the standard wheels the kit provided.  I have the Tamiya kit of this aircraft and I know it's much better than the Monogram offering but still...I enjoyed building this one and am pleased with the overall product.  I remembering buying driving all the way to the Red Barn in Wilson N.C. one day after work just to buy this kit.  Finally after about 25 years it's on the shelf and I like it. 

Ronnie Murray

I also enlarged both air intakes using some random parts from the stash.  I'd read where this aircraft had problems with the engines overheating anyway and the larger, thicker props for the larger, stronger engines probably needed more air.  I just think it makes it look mean too. 

Ronnie Murray

For the fellas that didn't make it to the meeting, this is my most recent model that is completed.  The last time most of you saw this kit it was a very glossy, metalic red with a black stripe down the side.   I was not happy with it and decided to give it a second chance.   I used the ancient Paragon conversion set that I"ve been saving for no less than 20 years.  I gives a vac-canopy with the blisters on the side, resin "Heinkel" wing tips, resin fuel tanks to go under each wing and resin wheels and tires.  I added resin props by Cutting Edge that were intended for the Ta-152 or Ta-154.  I wanted to pimp this one out to be a very fast, very high altitude recon plane that would've been to the Luftwaffe what the U-2 was for the U.S. in the cold war.