IPMS Eagle Squadron is pleased to announce our RESCHEDULED
MiniCon 2023 event | January 28, 2023
American Legion Post 116
6400 Johnson Pond Rd
Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526
Photos from Minicon2023 can be found in the photo section of the website
UPDATED INFO REGARDING VENDORS
When we first announced the MiniCON event for November, vendor participation was limited to outdoor space only. With the rescheduled January MiniCON, that changed dramatically. The event now features a separate building for vendors, but it it is still a “1st come, 1st served” basis, due to limited indoor capacity. Any overflow on the day of the event means that you’re outside tailgating, so plan accordingly.
Better yet, contact Ron Verburg, contest committee chairman firstname.lastname@example.org for reservation accommodations before the day of the event.
So What’s The Catch?
Great question! Here’s a quick overview for vendors:
- A separate building space is now available, but that space still has limited capacity. We recommend reserving space sooner than later. Again, contact Ron Verburg email@example.com for more information.
- Any vendors who wish to be included inside, there’s a $10 “spot fee” and you’ll need to bring your own table.
- Tables will be limited to 8 ft maximum
What If I’m Okay With “Setting Up Shop” Outside?
No problem! Vendors who opt to setting up outdoors will not be charged. However, just know that you’re still going to be positioned in a designated area outside, and also keep in mind:
- We may be in North Carolina, but it’s still January!
- IPMS Eagle Squadron is not liable for any lost, stolen, damaged goods, nor are we responsible for the effects of Mother Nature.
Once Again, We’re Working With Limited Space
With Limited Categories.
Like last year, this event will be small in scope. Because of the limited space we have available for contest entries, we have reduced the overall number of main categories, but we have introduced more sub-categories to the aircraft, armor, and automotive sections! Scroll down for a full list of *category details.
$15 per entrant, for the first 5 models. Then it’s $2 for each additional model.
We believe that this limitation will help us to work within a smaller space, plus, it helps avoid sweeps in any category.
Downloadable Flyer, Documents, Event Forms
Please note: While we’ve rescheduled this event to January 28, we did not make any changes to any of the forms below. So yeah…they still have the old date on them, but that’s okay….we’re still featuring the same categories, so feel free to download and print the PDFs below.
Despite the smaller venue and categories, MiniCon 2023 will follow judging guidelines and regulations as described in the IPMS/USA competition handbook available online at www.ipmsusa.org. Categories below have been set up to match IPMS guidelines where possible. The head judge reserves the right to split. A No Sweeps rule is in effect. A unique winner will be selected within each category for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards. The contest is open to all scale models except those winning a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place finish at the IPMS Nationals or a 1st place finish at an IPMS Regional contest.
1A Biplanes / Rigged, all scales
1B Single/ Multi engine prop 1/72 and smaller
1C Single / Multi engine prop 1/48 and larger
1D Single / Multi engine jet 1/72 and smaller
1E Single/ Multi engine jet 1/48 and larger
1F Rotary wing all scales
1G Civilian all scales
1H Out of box
2A Closed Top AFV 1/35
2B Closed Top AFV 1/48 and smaller
2C Open top AFV 1/35
2D Open top AFV 1/48 and smaller
2E Wheeled soft skin all scales
2F Artillery all scales
2G Out of box
3A Oar and sail, all scales
3B Powered 1/350 and larger
3C Powered 1/351 and smaller
3D Subs, all scales
3E Out of box
4A Showroom stock
4B Street rods
4D Competition all
4E Motorcycles all
4F Trucks all
4G Out of box
5A Real Space, all types, all scales
5B Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Robots
5C Gundam, all types, all scales
6A Foot or Mounted, all types, all scales
7 All subjects*
*all dioramas, regardless of subject matter are limited to 12″ x 12″
8 All types, all scales
9 All types, all scales
*Additional categories may be created at the event at the discretion of the contest committee; head judge reserves the right to create category splits
ELIGIBILITY All entrants must be registered. Absentee entries will be accepted if registered under the builders name – registration fees apply. All entries must be the sole work of the builder listed on the entry form. Membership in IPMS/USA is not required. The contest is open to all models except those that have won any award at an IPMS National Convention, or a 1st place in a IPMS Regional Convention or are Factory assembled & finished (i.e. die-cast collector cars & trucks, aircraft, armor, figures, etc.)
GUIDELINES Pre-painted entries will be allowed ONLY in the junior categories. Modelers of any age may enter any category except those designated for juniors. Entrants in Junior Categories are for modelers 17 years and under only. No nude or lewd models. The Head Judge may exclude/remove any entry considered to be inappropriate or offensive. No one will be allowed to enter the contest area prior to registering ALL their entries. Reasonably sized bases are allowed in all categories, but will not be judged.
CATEGORY SELECTION The Entrant will determine the category of each of their entries. If there is doubt as to the appropriate category, the Registrar may provide assistance. A model can only be entered into a single category. At the time of judging, the Head Judge will make the final decision if changes are necessary. All decisions of the judges are final. Attempts to influence the judges will result in immediate disqualification from all categories entered. No judge may rule on a category in which they are entered. Out-of-the-Box (OOB) entries MUST include kit plans with entry.
OUT OF BOX ELIGIBILITY
- Kit’s instruction sheet or photocopy of such MUST accompany the entry (placed under entry form). Instructions on any electronic device are NOT acceptable.
- Any commercially available kit may be used. Any parts provided in the kit may be used, regardless of their material (i.e., brass, resin, plastic, etc.). Generally, only parts that are included with the kit and found in the bag or box may be used.
- All finishing techniques are allowed. Decals other than those included with the kit may be used. Insignia, markings, and instrument panels may be hand-painted. Weathering is permitted.
- The modeler may fill seams, and gaps; sand off rivets; drill out gun ports, exhaust pipes, or other appropriate openings; thin to scale such parts as trailing edges, flaps, and doors; re-scribe panel lines lost in construction; and add rigging and antennas; or cut/open kit canopies. Tape or paper belts are permitted but seat belt buckles must
be made of paper or tape.
- It is NOT permitted to: vacuum-form, manufacture, or replace any part, or substitute parts from another kit; cut or separate surfaces, hatches, doors, etc. (no major surgery); combine a standard kit with a conversion kit; or add anything other than specified on the instruction sheet.
INAPPROPRIATE ENTRIES In keeping with the newly adopted standard by IPMS USA, the Chief Judge will exclude/remove from competition any entry considered by Contest officials to be inappropriate or offensive to generally acknowledged standards of taste and acceptability. The following are prohibited in competition and may not be placed on display:
- There shall be no depiction of excretory functions depicting any human being or animal.
- There shall be no depiction of sadomasochistic activity, equipment, settings or situations, to any degree, regardless of whether there are figures in the model and
regardless of whether any figures present in the model are clothed.
- There shall be no depictions of explicit sexual conduct, bilateral or autoerotic, regardless of degree and regardless of the clothing-status of the participants that involves the touching of the breasts or genitals or other erogenous zones of any depicted figure.
- There shall be no depiction of any nude human male or female figures where the genitalia of the figure are exposed where the clear intent of the same is to portray a sexual scene.